The Coast Guard Barque Eagle is very excited about the 2014 training schedule. During the year, Eagle will sail to the Caribbean, along the East Coast, to Canada, and throughout New England.
In late March, Eagle will sail to North Carolina with the Coast Guard and National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Officer Candidates. The voyage will include a port call in Morehead City, North Carolina.
The Eagle will return to New London in early April and following cadet final examinations, Eagle will set sail in early May and is scheduled to travel to the following ports: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Oranjestad, Aruba; Cozumel, Mexico; Miami, Florida; Sydney, Canada; St. Johns, Canada; New York City, New York and Bourne, Massachusetts. Upon mooring at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy in Bourne, Massachusetts, the 3/c and 1/c will depart and the Eagle swabs will come aboard for voyages from Bourne to Rockland, Maine and then back to New London, Connecticut in early August. In total, during the summer Eagle will train four different groups of approximately 150 cadets each.
In late August, Eagle will depart with the fall Coast Guard and NOAA Officer Candidate classes, traveling to Yorktown, Virginia and then to Baltimore, Maryland. While in Baltimore, Eagle will take part in the celebration of the 200 year anniversary of Francis Scott Key’s penning of the Star Spangled Banner.
Following the celebration, Eagle will transit to the Coast Guard Yard facility in Baltimore and commence work on its upcoming Service Life Extension Project. Eagle will remain at the Yard facility until the spring of 2015, when the Barque will travel to New London to commence the 2015 training program.
Specific port call dates are:
- March 27-30: Morehead City, North Carolina
- May 21-24: San Juan, Puerto Rico
- May 28-31: Oranjestad, Aruba
- June 7-10: Cozumel, Mexico
- June 14-17: Miami, Florida
- June 28-July 1: Sydney, Canada
- July 4-7: St. Johns, Canada
- July 17-20: New York City, New York
- July 24-28: Bourne, Massachusetts
- August 1-4: Rockland, Maine
- August 8-27: New London, Connecticut
- August 29-31: Gloucester, Massachusetts
- September 5-7: Yorktown, Virginia
- September 11-15: Baltimore, Maryland